Sunday 26 August 2012

Scrapbook Tin Cans DIY

Ever since I saw this idea on Pinterest I knew it was something I had to find time to do. It was the perfect DIY to spruce up my work desk and stop using kitchen glasses to hold my stationary!

My Inspiration: Check her out, she has a beautiful blog :)

I had to wait for my family to use cans in the pantry to actually start the project which felt like forever. I was tempted to tip the contents out the cans but I managed to restrain myself for enough time to collect 3.

Begin with plain-Jane cans that have been thoroughly cleaned of their contents and labels (Soaking them in hot water for a few hours works great) and also grab:
- White Spray Paint 
- Scrabooking paper/ Fabric/ Anything to cover the cans witj
- Mod Podge
- Paint Brush
- Ribbon 
- Newspaper


Head outside into a well ventilated area and lay down newspaper onto a flat surface. Spray the insides of the cans with the spray paint. Only 10 minutes is needed to allow the paint to dry, after that, the rest of the project is done inside.

Measured out the heigh of the can leaving room for the top lip and if desired the bottom rim. (the length isn't too important, as long as it fits the circumference of the tin). Paint Mod Podge down the side of the can, stick the paper/fabric down and wrap it around sticking the overlap down with more Mod Podge cutting any off access material.

Use the same method with the ribbon around the base of the base can starting in the same place as the paper/fabric.

Repeat on as many cans as desired.

*notes*
I lightly dabbed glue about three extra times around the can to securely the paper and ribbon well.

Newspaper can be wrapped around the outside of the tin whilst spray painting to preserve the metal on the outside, if preferred.

Residual glue is left over after removing the can's labels so this is a great place to stick the overlap so to avoid any imperfections in the the wrap.


I'm stocked with the outcome and at how easy it was to make these. I'll bet my stationary is happy with their new homes as well :)

I bought spray paint especially for this project and can't wait to try it out on other DIYs so look out for those soon!

-Elle
x

2 comments:

  1. Hey Diane,

    I'm honoured that you like my blog, Thankyou!
    I don't think I can afford something like that at the moment , sorry. If find myself in a better position though I'll contact you :)

    -Elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete